Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bombs Over... Northern South Korea?

So, I'm home in the States and pretty much the leading story on all the news channels is North Korea shooting artillery at an island in South Korean territory. People were injured, fire was exchanged. Watching from a distance, I'm scared. But at the same time, I'm wondering if the conclusions the American news channels are jumping to are right or over-exaggerations. Or if I've lived in Korea for so long that I've become complacent.

Most of my friends in Seoul have been on Facebook saying things are fine and not to worry. A couple are freaking out thinking that war is about to start. I'm of the mind that the US and ROK are not going to do anything military-wise since neither really wants to go to war at the moment and risk losing everything South Korea has built up. But from this incident and the Cheonan incident, I think we can safely bet that you cannot predict what North Korea will do. And I can't even begin to guess why on earth they've suddenly decided to be so aggressive.

So, I'm hoping that I can get back to Seoul safely, and that my parents don't freak out too bad. But a part of me is silently sad that I'm missing all the excitement... Silly, I know. But it's the journalist side of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment