Monday, March 1, 2010

My Thoughts on the Jae-Beom Issue

So I have to get this out of my system or I'm going to end up posting on one of the stupid forums I've been reading in order to write an article for my website... and get slaughtered by Jae Beom fans. And also, this blog is relatively safe from the friends of mine who are among the outraged fans.

Personally, I think it's all bull shit. Yes. You read that right. It's bull shit.

What a lot of fans fail to realize is that JYP is a business and Park is going to do whatever he think will save the business, whether or not it comes across as harsh, mean, unethical whatever. It's business. And more than that, it's Korean business. Perhaps it's because I'm old enough to know that the business world will always be corrupt, and while that is sad and unfortunate, it's true. CEOs of entertainment companies do not always think about the well-being of their clients, and are going to make decisions based on what will make them money. If a client isn't making them money or is going to cause bad press that will damage their other clients, they will drop them. And they will ALWAYS try to spin it to make them look better. Do I agree with this? No. But it's a harsh fact of life, and nothing so far has changed it, so I doubt a huge group of junior high and high school girls are going to have an impact on JYP.

In regards to how Jae is being 'victimized', I think there is a lot more to the story than fans know and that in itself begs for thought before taking action. Whatever the misdeed was, JYP saw as big enough that it could damage business and decided to cut their losses. We don't know what it was, but because of JYP's actions, you have to think that it was really bad, potentially criminal.

If he got a girl pregnant and then ran to Seattle, I think that makes him an asshole. If he did drugs, that makes him stupid.

But we don't know what it is. For all we know, he could have raped a girl. In which case, I doubt the fans would stick by him. Hell, if they found out that he really did get a girl pregnant through consensual sex, they probably wouldn't support him either. Does getting someone pregnant make him a bad person? Not necessarily, it means he's human (and stupid enough to not use protection, but as we all know, that can't always be to blame). But as a role model for teens, this is a big no-no and I could see why JYP would take such harsh actions. Again, this is based on the culture in Korea. Would an American entertainment agency drop him? I don't know.

On top of that, from what I've heard from a friend who actually met Jae while out in Hongdae, it doesn't necessarily sound like he is the perfect angel that his fans make him out to be. My friend went up to ask him for a picture for his cousins, since they were too shy to go up to him. My friend said that at the time, he didn't know who Jae was and Jae seemed a bit pissed about this, acting like he was a big celebrity and it was stupid of my friend (who is kyopo from Texas and a guy) to not recognize him. Also, Jae had a girl on each arm, which tells me that he's some sort of player. And we've all heard a lot of his comments that make him sound like a spoiled prick. (i.e. "I suck at rapping, but Koreans think it's awesome. That's dope.")

Sorry, but that story makes me less likely to feel sorry for him and the trouble he seems to have brought upon himself.

I'm not going to pretend I know everything about Jae Beom. For all I know, he could truly be repentant and want to come back. But at the same time, who knows if he really truly deserves another chance on a dream that he blew himself. More than once. (Though the Myspace comments, I thought JYP's reaction to that was ridiculous.)

And what really makes me irritated is all the time, energy and money the fans are wasting on the movement get JYP to listen to them and make changes. JPY is most likely not going to change. So, why don't they take all that time, energy and money and put it to good use? Stand up for a cause that will actually do some good in the world, rather than give a spoiled brat his job back.

What about using it to help Haiti? Or the homeless in their area? Or helping unwed mothers in Korea? Or tutor underprivileged children so they have a chance at their dreams. These are all difficult causes, that seem to have no end. But at least every little thing done has some sort of positive impact. Why not try to do something positive for the world? Besides, after everything that has happened, I highly doubt that Jae wants to go back to JYP anyway.

So... that's my rant. May the anti-fans have mercy on this old fogey who dared to have an opinion on Jae Beom.

Let's hope there aren't anymore bomb threats... though I've heard JYP has police guarding their headquarters...

No comments:

Post a Comment